Cast Iron Pre-Seasoned Potjie African Pot
Double,double toil and trouble- introducing Bruntmor's very own Potjie Cauldron Pot!
Whether you are mixing up a potion or throwing in a bunch of ingredients to make the perfect stew, we are excited to have this new pot as a part of our collection.
Not sure how to cook in a Potjie?
Don't worry! Just dump a bunch of your favorite ingredients in and let the pot perform magic!You can cook anything you like in a potjie! It heats up rapidly and it browns meat and vegetables very well. In South Africa, potjie cooking is a life-style. They even have competitions for making the best potjie!
Showing off some of it's best features:
- 3 legs and round belly shape allows even heat distribution around the pot
- Retains heat well and could be kept simmering over a few embers
- Maintains the liquids at the lowest point to prevent the food from burning
- Domed lid allows for optimal internal heat circulation throughout
- The tall legs make it ideal for cooking directly over fire/coals or gas burner
Get your friends and family together and cook a delicious meal in a South African cast-iron potjie (pronounced 'potchee')! It is an exciting and enjoyable way of relaxing together and a tasty alternative to a barbeque. The potjie is placed over hot coals, either on an open fire or on top of a grill.
About African Potjie's
The three-legged pot was originally used widely across Europe and it was introduced to South Africa when Europeans settled there. Today, more than 500 years later, potjie cooking is a strong tradition that belongs to all different people and food cultures.
Caring for your Potjie
- After every meal, rinse the pot with warm soapy water and then when finished, prepare your potjie for storage by coating the inside of the pot with a thin layer of fat or cooking oil to prevent rusting.
Just got my size 2 Potjie pot from you, and I’m very pleased with it. Living in the Southwestern United States, we cook outdoors quite a lot. Can’t wait to use it for my next backyard cookout !