Roast Chicken with Spring Vegetables Using Bruntmor's Cast Iron Skillet
- One 4-5 pound whole chicken
- 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 6 grinds of black pepper
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 leek
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 6 scallions
- Place Bruntmor's Cast Iron Skillet in the oven to preheat to 500 degrees. Leave the pan in the oven for 45 minutes as the oven gets to temperature.
- While the oven and pan preheat, place the chicken on a cutting board and season all over with salt and pepper. Splay the thighs open until you feel the joint pop on each side, then place 2 of the lemon wedges inside the chicken. Set aside.
- Prep the leeks by first trimming off the rough dark green top and root the bottom. Slice the white and light green part in half vertically and then into thin half rounds. Rinse the sliced leeks in a large pot of water to remove the trapped dirt. Drain.
- Prep the asparagus by trimming the ends and slicing the stalks vertically into thin sticks.
- Prep the scallions by trimming the root ends and dark green parts, and slicing in half vertically.
- When the pan is ready, carefully remove it from the oven and pour 1 tablespoon of the oil. Transfer the chicken, breast side up, to the hot skillet. Drizzle the bird with another tablespoon of the oil. Roast for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, toss in all the vegetables, the two remaining lemon quarters and another tablespoon of oil. Roast for 5 minutes more, then stir again. Continue roasting for 10 more minutes until the vegetables are soft and the skin is golden. Remove the pan from the oven and let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then care and serve with the pan juices and vegetables.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.